Author Archives: Carrie Waite
Woohoo! We have dreamt that a Cyclovia would someday come to St. Pete. Hopes and dreams are great and all but when you’re tired of waiting, how do you make things happen?? You do it yourself! Well, not all by yourself, but, find some friends to help you. That’s what we did. We are so lucky to have the best friends a little co-op could ask for! Our friends at Shift St. Pete were tired of waiting too. So we teamed up with the City of St. Pete, with Shift St. Pete, of course our pals over at Keep St. Pete Local, and nearly 100 others. Some of the coolest people, organizations, vendors, activities around and low and behold we’ve made our dreams come true! Our very first ever Open Streets St. Pete is 3 weeks from Sunday! Vendors have been selected for Indie FamFest at Open Streets St. Pete and that includes the 12+ food trucks that will be participating in the first Food Truck Rally at Williams Park! We’ll start sharing info on Monday about the vendors. You don’t want to miss this phenomenal day in #StPete! Here’s what will be happening:
• Streets around Mirror Lake & Williams Park will be closed to cars & open to the community to bike, stroll & roll! (see map on OpenStreetsStPete.com)
• 20+ Activities will be taking place on the streets, including Tampa Bay Rowdies “Human Foosball”, Bike Rodeo by All Children’s Hospital and City of St. Pete transportation. Free helmets! Yoga, pianos, dancing, bike riding, bubbles, pretty much all the fun we can squeeze into the largest public space we own, our streets! The City will also be demonstrating what a “Complete Street” could look like. You deserve a Sunday Funday, don’t you?
• A new family & pet-friendly festival, Indie FamFest at Open Streets St. Pete, will be taking place at Williams Park from NOON – 5 pm, in conjunction with Open Streets St. Pete
• The festival, presented by Keep Saint Petersburg Local and sponsored by Happy Feet Plus, features the ●●● 1st Food Truck Rally ●●● at Williams Park with 12+ trucks and 60+ family-friendly & pet-friendly vendors/participants, including engaging activities for all ages hosted by our local arts & culture organizations
• Pet Corner, presented by Cathedral Church of St. Peter with pet blessing, pet photo booth & pet costume contest
• Live entertainment, sponsored by St. Petersburg Music Factory, with student bands, Music & Me, LLC, hooping by Hoola Monsters, LLC, & other performances to be announced
• Bike valet + bike decorating station sponsored by makeme
Start inviting friends and family to the event page, so they don’t miss out! https://www.facebook.com/events/1724838631063390
It’s National Bike Month! We’re taking over Green Bench! Let’s celebrate our love of beer and bikes, and sell off that bike pile that has been collecting dust in our garage/spare room/entire house forever and ever. You know you have too much crap! Get rid of it, hang out, drink beer, talk about beer and bikes all day. What could be better? Set those unused bikes and parts free! Become a vendor by applying below. Make some beer money!
When: Saturday, May 28th 2:00 PM – 8:00 PM
Where: Green Bench Brewing, 1133 Baum Ave North, St. Petersburg, FL
How: Facebook Event Page – https://www.facebook.com/events/948201768619991/
Vendor/Sponsor Sign Ups are open until end of April or until we fill up, whichever comes first!
What: Bikes! Rides! People who ride bikes! Food trucks! Bikes you can buy! Bikes you can sell! Bikes you can trade! Bikes you can donate! Local Bands! Local Beer! Bike parts you can buy! Bike parts you can sell! Prizes! Raffles! Exclamation Points! Bike puns! Off the chain! Get in gear! Jugglers? Clowns? Beards? You’ll have to attend to find out. But there definitely won’t be any clowns.
Just be there, man!
Your action is needed to make Bike Share a reality in St. Pete! Email City Council today to show your support!
Haven’t had a chance to email St. Pete City Council in support of using BP settlement money for Bike Share yet? We’ll we made it easy! Just cut and paste the text below. Use as much or as little of it as you want. and personalize at will. Just be sure to leave your name and address so council knows that Bike Share is important to living, working, and playing in our great city!
BP FOR BIKE SHARE
City Council members,
I am writing to express my support for Mayor Kriseman’s proposal to use $1M of the BP Oil lawsuit settlement to help fund a Bike Share program for our city. This modest investment would provide economical, emissions free, healthy transportation options for our residents. Additionally, Bike Share will provide an easy system of transportation for tourists to experience all our great city has to offer – from our local businesses and restaurants, to our arts districts and museums, historic neighborhoods, and the miles of waterfront parks along our beautiful bay – all while reducing automobile traffic and parking demands.
As a resident of St. Pete, I also believe Bike Share is important because… [insert personal message, optional]
As councilmembers, you have the opportunity to invest in a program that will benefit our city economically, make us healthier, less oil dependent, and increase our resiliency as a city and community. This is why I ask you to support the allocation of $1M of the BP Oil settlement for use on the proposed Bike Share program.
Thank you for your time and consideration,
We’ve started a new Facebook Group around the conversation of Bike Advocacy in St. Petersburg. Join us! Let’s band together to make St. Pete a more bike friendly community!
The St. Pete Bike Co-op teaches people of all ages and backgrounds how to repair and maintain bicycles. Through bike repair and maintenance, the St. Pete Bike Co-op promotes personal development and self sufficiency. Operating as a cooperative shop, we provide affordable ways to acquire and maintain a bike, offer bicycle related education programs, promote bicycle safety, encourage reuse and recycling and promote general bicycle advocacy.
This is a safe space. All are welcome. Any sexism, classism, homophobia or racism will not be tolerated! This is a space where you will not be judged by your gender, sexual orientation, race, or class.
Our Vision is to make cycling easy, fun and safe in St. Pete.